A New Electricity Vision for Canada
The Canadian Electrical Association has introduced “Vision 2050: The Future of Canada’s Electricity System” … a framework more making decisions about electricity, including the electricity system’s unique and important features, the likeliest future scenario and variables that may impact on it, as well as the important drivers of change and decisions that Canadians will need to make in the next five to 10 years. You could call it a New Electricity Vision for Canada.
This is important as Jim Burpee mentions in this video from the Trottier Institute for Sustainability in Engineering and Design, discussing Vision 2050:
Our electricity infrastructure is replaced only very slowly—the life of a nuclear plant is 40 to 60 years, a coal plant operates for 50 or more years, and there are hydroelectric plants more than 100 years old operating today. With such a slow pace of turnover, it is easy to see how a decision made today will have an impact for decades.
Full information about Vision 2050 can be found here: www.powerforthefuture.ca/vision-2050/
Introducing Vision 2050: The Future of Canada’s Electricity System.
Vision 2050 centers on a commitment to renew Canada’s electricity system through the optimal evolution of electricity supply and demand, so as to deliver maximum value to customers and citizens, and contribute to a lower carbon economy.
Vision 2050 comes in 6 parts:
- Part 1 discusses the fundamental characteristics of the electricity system that ought to be taken into account in any strategic planning or visioning exercise.
- Part 2 discusses the most likely scenario for the mix of power generation and includes data for future energy supply and demand scenarios.
- Part 3 identifies the key variables that will impact the future of the system including the size, composition, management and economic variables that highlight the important choices that must be made over the next decade in Canada.
- Part 4 makes the case for the urgency of action.
- Part5 Taking into account these earlier discussions, Part 5 offers a vision for Canada’s electricity future, its objectives and proposed recommendations.
- Part6 Vision 2050 creates an opportunity to continue delivering the three pillars of a strong electricity system – reliability, affordability and sustainability.
New Electricity Vision
Thanks for reading our post about the New Electricity Vision in Canada. Hope you have a great day!